Before the Thanksgiving holiday, President-elect Donald Trump announced the leadership teams or “landing teams” who will oversee the transition efforts for a wide-range of government agencies to prepare for his administration.
As highlighted by GovExec, many of these leaders include congressional aides and former top officials with both Bush administrations.
Here’s the list of landing team leaders, as provided by FCW:
- Department of Agriculture: Joel Leftwich, staff director of the Senate Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry Committee
- Department of Education: James Manning, a senior Education Department official during the George W. Bush administration
- Department of Energy: Thomas Pyle, president of the American Energy Alliance
- Environmental Protection Agency: Myron Ebell, director of the Center for Energy and Environment at the Competitive Enterprise Institute
- Department of Health and Human Services: Andrew Bremberg, policy adviser and counsel on nominations for Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), and Paula Stannard, health care lawyer at Alston and Bird
- Department of Homeland Security: James Carafano, vice president of foreign and defense policy studies at the Heritage Foundation, and Michael Dougherty, CEO of the Secure Identity and Biometrics Association and former ombudsman at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Department of Housing and Urban Development: Elliot Berke, former HUD special counsel
- Department of Interior: Douglas Domenech, former deputy chief of staff at Interior and George W. Bush administration appointee to the White House Working Group on the Political Status of Puerto Rico
- Department of Labor: Jane Norris, former deputy assistant secretary of public affairs at Labor
- Department of Transportation: Nancy Butler, former director of communications and external affairs at Transportation under presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush
- Department of Veterans Affairs: Retired Brig. Gen. Michael Meese, who served as executive director of the secretary of the Army’s transition team in 2005
Where does government IT fall into this? As of right now, the Trump transition is focusing on pressing matters like appointing agency leaders before it gets to roles like the federal chief information officer, according to this recent NextGov article.
GovTransformer will continue to highlight key stories about this new transition, as well as its potential impact on the government IT arena.